Criminal Defense

Bond Reduction

If you feel that you or your family members bond has been set to high, please contact Tommy A. Thomas to discuss a Bond Reduction. There are several option that we can take into consideration regarding have an initial bond modified. We would be glad to talk with you about your specific situation and give you options so that you can make an informed decision.

Criminal Domestic Violence

Being charges with Criminal Domestic Violence is not something that the Courts take lightly. In some cases, even if the victim goes with you to court and indicates that they do not want to press charges, they can continue with your case and convict you. It is very important to have an attorney represent you in a CDV case.

Please contact our office to discuss your particular case and we will be glad to discuss your options with you.

Driving Under the Influence

If you have been charged with DUI, you have the right to proper representation. It is your right not to answer any questions without a lawyer attorney present. It is also your right to refuse a breathalyser, blood and/or a sobriety test. Some of the consequences you would face if you receive a DUI conviction are: a substantial fine, jail time, driver's licence suspension, increase in your insurance. We work diligently to reduce and or eliminate these consequences.

Drug Offenses

Whether your case involves marijuana, cocaine or any other drug possession or trafficking, we understand that many factors come into play. Since we have vast experience and knowledge with the South Carolina Department of Corrections, we know the problems that can occur if you are not represented properly. For example, making sure you get proper credit for the time you spent in jail, having your sentence back dated and making sure that the offense you are pleaing to is parole eligible are some of the things that are easily overlooked.


An Expungement is an order for the destruction of your arrest record. The law regarding Expungements was modified on June 2, 2009. Any charges that were dismissed, nol prossed or you were found not guilty can be taken off of your record. You no longer have to pay a $150.00 Solicitor fee to have these charges taken off of your record. However, if any charge was dismissed, nol prossed or not guilty as part of a plea bargain, you are now required to pay a $250.00 Solicitor fee, a $35.00 Clerk of Court fee and a $25.00 RAP sheet fee.

Certain charges that you have been found guilty of are also expungeable. Having your record cleaned up will help you in many ways. If you are incarcerated you may be able to advance your custody level by having certain charges expunged off of your record. If you are not incarcerated, have your record cleaned up would help you obtain employment.

Please contact my office for a list of expungeable charges and to discuss your situation.

General Sessions Charges

If you or your family member has been charged with a criminal charge in the Court of General Sessions it is important for you to obtain competent legal counsel to defend your case. The Court of General Sessions has the jurisdiction to impose fines, probation and incarceration in the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

At your Bond hearing you will be given paperwork with a date to go to Roll Call for a First Appearance. You should consult with an attorney prior to your first appearance.

Please contact us to discuss your situation.

Magistrate and Municipal Court

The Law Office of Tommy A. Thomas gives you the guidance necessary to prevent long-term consequences regarding charges in the Magistrate and Municipal Courts. We give you honest, straightforward advice, letting you know the legal options available and the effects of each one. We want to give you the knowledge necessary to make an informed decision.

Magistrate and Municipal Court charges include:

The consequences for criminal cases in the magistrate and municipal courts can vary greatly. While some charges may only carry a fine, others may include loss of your drivers' license or even jail time. Every conviction you get is placed on your permanent SLED RAP sheet. Through our experience, we have discovered avenues and options that may result in no record of your crime.

Please contact our office if you feel we can assist you in your situation.